Hell's Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Splose - Developer Application

+4
Softserve
Thunderwave
Airplane
Splose
8 posters

Go down

Splose - Developer Application Empty Splose - Developer Application

Post  Splose Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Name: Matt, or my in-game aliases are Splose, or Akadien.

All Characters(IE: Name/Level/Class):

• Akadien - 100 Warrior
    Akkadian - 100 Rogue
    Splose - 100 Paladin

I have a 100 of almost every class, these 3 are the ones I normally play in order of relevancy.

Why do you want to be part of the Hells Legion Staff: As you will find out further down this application I am a server developer and owner of another emulated server. As any well-versed or experienced developer understands.. It takes a developer to fully recognize the quality of another person's work. While players are the ones that play it, another developer truly understands what was done in order to get the experience that the players actually experience. I truly see a lot of potential in this server. I say potential because I do also see some issues that should be fixed.

For lazy people who don't want to read my block of text.. I see a lot of potential in this server and want to be an active hand in making it better than it currently is.

Time Zone and the times you can be online per day(usually): EST.. My times vary.. I'm moving next month so I quit my job, have way more time to do stuff like this. I am contactable via text message or Skype 24/7, however.

Do you play retail and are you in a end game raiding guild that requires you to be online at certain times? Not anymore.

Any previous experience you had with being a Game Master/Dev/Moderator/Admin:
Well where do I start? I've been self-teaching and running servers for years now. My introduction to game development started on an EQ server called EQDestiny.. The server owner decided to abandon the project and I was good friends with the hoster at the time. I was very young, around 15 at the time.. So I tried very hard to stay away from the social aspect of being a staff member. I've gotten more sociable as I've grown older but as a content developer I still prefer to only interact with people as necessary to further my content.

I am also very experienced with SQL, and general GM'ing. General GM'ing not being one of my interests.

Do you have any experience with running/owning a WoW Private Sever? I have owned and operated 3 emulated Everquest servers for years.

Do you have any examples of your work?

http://eqtownship.net/

That is my current project that I have taken time off of. I have a large development team under me that has taken up most of the slack with me simply guiding them. I have already made most base content for them so they're taking care of balancing etc.

I also have backups of 2 of my old servers in case you would like to download EQ and see my content as well.

Pictures yay.

http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser1.png
http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser2.png
http://eqtownship.net/hubteaser3.png
http://eqtownship.net/dungeonteaser1.png
http://eqtownship.net/dungeonteaser2.png
http://eqtownship.net/hillteaser1.png
http://eqtownship.net/hillteaser2.png
http://eqtownship.net/hillteaser3.png
http://eqtownship.net/hillteaser4.png

How are you with people (e.g. patience, understanding, helpful, etc.): I am very helpful to people who are deserving of help. Being rude and demanding things of me will not get you far.. I firmly believe this is a required characteristic of a GM or even any staff member. You must be understanding and fair, but enough of an asshole to not be too soft on miscreants or people PM'ing you asking for stuff.

Can you handle orders, or do you prefer giving orders yourself:
I prefer leading my own team, obviously.. who doesn't? But I am humble enough to take orders from my superiors.

Do you have Ventrilo with a working mic?
Yup.

What do you expect from Hells Legion?
Here is where I will go into more detail about the current issues at least from my point of view and opinion. Some may disagree, some may agree, but like I just said.. Matter of opinion.

I believe that while your development team is very good at making fun, semi-challenging content.. They need a lesson in class balancing. Class balancing is by far the hardest aspect of developing any time of game where there are different classes that are defined to a role, (tank/dps/healer). Quest dialogue also needs a big booster.. some of them are just cheesy and cliche. Itemization is horrible for some classes, too good for others. Frostscythe drop rates should be increased since it is a tier 1 mob and the basis of gear for any new player.. Why make them spend more time farming one item than they did their whole set of armor? (I have killed him LITERALLY 22 times in a row, for one dagger to drop, my rogue needs another one.)

I'm sure I could think of more things but this is something to be discussed with the development team.

Do you know anything about scripting C++?
I am well-versed in Perl, SQL, and some LUA.. I have taken up C and am in the process of learning it. Learning is one of my main interests in joining the team as a developer. I plan to pursue a career in game development and experience is more valuable than schooling.

Anything else you want us to know:

Why are you asking me this question? is there anything else YOU want to know? Post it up and I'll answer.

*Just a footnote.

I've spoken with McCrick about this and apparently there is a process to becoming a developer and that includes being a ticket GM at first. I fully agree with this.. it takes time to build trust and to get to know each other. You guys may not like me, or I may not like you or we just may not work well together. I think this would be the best course of action to determine if this can work out or not.

Last edited by Splose on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Splose

Back to top Go down

Splose - Developer Application Empty Re: Splose - Developer Application

Post  Airplane Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 am

Pending
Airplane
Airplane

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 am

No questions?

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderwave Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 am

Mind = blown. Now some will say needs more color, but I honestly could care less. I just post in blue cuz I'm Thunder. However this app is VERY well done. I have seen you on, you arn't social as you said so I can't vouch for you personality, but hell, I'm Thunder what the hell do I know about personality? Anyways you seem experienced and it takes balls to ask for a staffing position and call out flaws at the same time. Overall I gotta say you got my full support, despite the shot at Avenger's awesome quest text. +10 from Thunder, Cuz I can.
Thunderwave
Thunderwave

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:51 am

The quest text comment was more aimed toward the beginning "quests" when you first make a character.. Not sure who did those but they are the first thing a player sees when they start playing. First impressions are very important. I just think they can be spruced up a bit. They are fine as is but any improvements all contribute to the bigger picture and the more little improvements you are constantly making to your server the better it will get.

And since your vote holds more than the average person on the server I appreciate your support.

The fact that I took the time to bold and underline each question to make it at least organized looking shows that I put time into the application. Other people posting about me not coloring my text seems a bit over the top.. If you don't have an attention span wide enough to read through my app because it doesn't have colors in it you should probably not be commenting on staff additions. Once again, accepting any questions on anything for people curious.

Last edited by Splose on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Softserve Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am

Like thunder stated the application does look extremely boring, however it is very very very well done. The experience is there.

Splose wrote:I've spoken with McCrick about this and apparently there is a process to becoming a developer and that includes being a ticket GM at first. I fully agree with this.. it takes time to build trust and to get to know each other. You guys may not like me, or I may not like you or we just may not work well together. I think this would be the best course of action to determine if this can work out or not.
I'm glad you understand you will have to go through the proper channels if you are accepted as GM.

I've met you once or twice in game. From what I've seen you've spent your time trolling in world chat more than other things. As for the social part I can disagree, you're a likable person from my point of view.

Make sure you read the GM expectations, and get yourself well versed with the rules. We don't need anymore GMs being fired for stupidity.

+1

Best regards
Soft

EDIT: I would like to revoke my previous vote. The application is good but the player isn't ready for the position just yet.

Last edited by Softserve on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Softserve
Softserve
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Softserve Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:55 am

Splose wrote:The quest text comment was more aimed toward the beginning "quests" when you first make a character.. Not sure who did those but they are the first thing a player sees when they start playing. First impressions are very important. I just think they can be spruced up a bit. They are fine as is but any improvements all contribute to the bigger picture and the more little improvements you are constantly making to your server the better it will get.

And since your vote holds more than the average person on the server I appreciate your support.

The fact that I took the time to bold and underline each question to make it at least organized looking shows that I put time into the application. Other people posting about me not coloring my text seems a bit over the top.. If you don't have an attention span wide enough to read through my app because it doesn't have colors in it you should probably not be commenting on staff additions. Once again, accepting any questions on anything for people curious.
Probably not the best way to respond.

pressing ctrl U and ctrl B can be classified as work but taking the time to space out text and color it really helps.
Softserve
Softserve
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 am

Softserve wrote:
Splose wrote:The quest text comment was more aimed toward the beginning "quests" when you first make a character.. Not sure who did those but they are the first thing a player sees when they start playing. First impressions are very important. I just think they can be spruced up a bit. They are fine as is but any improvements all contribute to the bigger picture and the more little improvements you are constantly making to your server the better it will get.

Probably not the best way to respond.

pressing ctrl U and ctrl B can be classified as work but taking the time to space out text and color it really helps.
Maybe, Maybe not. I have been doing this for years. This is not a junior high history project. This is a resume to broadcast my marketable skills. My ability, or inability, to bbcode some colored text is highly irrelevant.

And ah.. the ASL thing was one of my boredom-induced moments. All in non-malicious intentions as most parties involved probably understood. I appreciate your support Soft. I hope you don't take this as too abrasive.

Also, bolding and underlining my work takes literally the same exact amount of clicks of the mouse as changing the text color.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Softserve Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 am

Exactly my point my friend, but that's besides the point.

The application is great lets keep it at that.
Softserve
Softserve
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 am

Softserve wrote:Exactly my point my friend, but that's besides the point.

The application is great lets keep it at that.
Thanks again.

Like I said.. I hope my replies weren't too abrasive. Nothing said including the quest text comment was meant to be demeaning or insulting to anybody involved. Simply just a desire to improve. There is always room for improvement.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Avenger Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:33 am

Dev application, well this is new

As much as I enjoy writing quest text (as I have for all zones thus far) I also appreciate constructive criticism. Unfortunately, many players don't take the time to read the quests but that is perfectly alright. Going back to the point, the way I see anything and everything relating to the server and any sort of "issue" that follows can be answered by this simple statement.

"Nothing will ever change, unless you describe what is wrong".

When I say the previous quote I mean that in the sense that there may be many issues with the server, more than we as Admins are completely unaware of. The only way to fix something is by the players themselves to do their helping hand and let us know the problem.

As you can tell I went slightly off track from my original point on quest text.. all in all I would simply like to say that if you are truly someone who is willing to work with people (as a dev or ticket gm regardless) than I have nothing else to say than the best of luck to you. Otherwise, I cannot say I fully agree with someone who expects to be handed something they have not yet proven to have earned yet.
Avenger
Avenger
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 am

Avenger wrote:Dev application, well this is new

As much as I enjoy writing quest text (as I have for all zones thus far) I also appreciate constructive criticism. Unfortunately, many players don't take the time to read the quests but that is perfectly alright. Going back to the point, the way I see anything and everything relating to the server and any sort of "issue" that follows can be answered by this simple statement.

"Nothing will ever change, unless you describe what is wrong".

When I say the previous quote I mean that in the sense that there may be many issues with the server, more than we as Admins are completely unaware of. The only way to fix something is by the players themselves to do their helping hand and let us know the problem.

As you can tell I went slightly off track from my original point on quest text.. all in all I would simply like to say that if you are truly someone who is willing to work with people (as a dev or ticket gm regardless) than I have nothing else to say than the best of luck to you. Otherwise, I cannot say I fully agree with someone who expects to be handed something they have not yet proven to have earned yet.
Splose wrote:I've spoken with McCrick about this and apparently there is a process to becoming a developer and that includes being a ticket GM at first. I fully agree with this.. it takes time to build trust and to get to know each other. You guys may not like me, or I may not like you or we just may not work well together. I think this would be the best course of action to determine if this can work out or not.
The quote is in response to the bolded text.

As far as the possibility of many problems existing within the games unknown to staff it is the development team's responsibility to at least do a cursory beta test before releasing anything. You would spell check a paper before submitting it right? Same idea.

As said.. Not only are you guys feeling me out and trust is being built but I am feeling you out as well. It may work out exceptionally well or it may turn out to be the opposite. Either way only time will tell. I am glad you said this because an instant developer position and access to the database would be a negative reflection on you. Common knowledge on any type of emulation whether it be EQ, WoW, anything, is that you need to be careful who you allow on your team. From one server owner to another I think I understand this more than anybody else who applies. Like I said, definitely willing to go through the process. This is a two-way street.. I don't consider it a privilege to be able to develop for you but as a service going both ways. It would be a pleasure to join your team and I will further my knowledge and experience, and I will be an asset to your team.

Thanks for the response.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Softserve Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:36 am

My personal opinion on GM applications it to avoid drama at all costs. Rebutting may make sense but isn't always the best way to get yourself on the team. A good application comes with performance, a little brown nosing, and your personality. You still have my vote but try to avoid critiquing everything thrown at you.
Softserve
Softserve
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderwave Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am

Splose don't you dare listen to Soft! BROWN NOSING GETS YOU NO WHERE! Though I did get declined, so what do I know ;3.
Thunderwave
Thunderwave

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 am

Softserve wrote:My personal opinion on GM applications it to avoid drama at all costs. Rebutting may make sense but isn't always the best way to get yourself on the team. A good application comes with performance, a little brown nosing, and your personality. You still have my vote but try to avoid critiquing everything thrown at you.
discussion != drama.

i am providing and encouraging productive discussion.. a staff member telling me to "kiss ass" to further my developer application completely turns me off of this whole thing honestly.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderwave Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 am

He's not staff splose. He just helps on the forums. Don't worry
Thunderwave
Thunderwave

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeca Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:17 am

+1

Even though i haven't seen you ingame or anything. I like it, you have a nice attitude and it looks like you have good experience as a dev.

Good luck Smile
Xeca
Xeca

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 am

Xeca wrote:+1

Even though i haven't seen you ingame or anything. I like it, you have a nice attitude and it looks like you have good experience as a dev.

Good luck Smile
Thank you! and I'm on most of the time usually in one form or another.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMoneyHater Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:23 pm

I have never seen you ingame but you seems like really cool guy. I want to see more of this guy and his work!

Question: Can you show more of your game?
TheMoneyHater
TheMoneyHater
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Sure.

Pictures of the game itself won't really do it as much justice as actually explaining the custom code I've implemented behind it. For example, as default in EQ different race/class combinations start out in different starting cities. I use a zone called "Qeynos" as the center of my server. Since it is an actually city instead of a room packed full of relevant NPCs it is a hub without giving the feel of a hub.

The code I used to achieve this is here:

Please note: Me copy pasting it from notepad++ to here screws up some of the spacing so it's not as neat looking on the forum than it actually is.

An explanation of what this does for dummies:

When you create a new character you start in a zone called "load2" which you zone in for a split second to make sure you can pass a race/class check to make sure you aren't exploiting by playing a disabled class.

On the event you zone in another script activates which I will not post here.. But it gives you a message telling you that you are being checked. It then sets your reputation (or faction on EQ) to max for my server NPCs so that they will not attack you. It then puts you in my server's beginner guild.. Scribes any beginner newbie spells if your class is eligible and then teleports you to Qeynos to start your adventure.

Code:

sub EVENT_ENTERZONE {
   if(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Monk")) {                
  quest::faction(135,100000);
      quest::faction(945,100000);
  quest::setguild(1,0);
  $client->Message(13,"PERFORMING UNAUTHORIZED RACE/CLASS CHECK");
  $client->Message(13,"UNAUTHORIZED RACE/CLASS CHECK PASSED");    
  $client->Message(15,"Welcome to the Township, $name. Please hail the Server Greeter to start your adventure.");
      quest::zone(qeynos2);
 }
    elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Paladin")) {                
  $client->Message(15,"Welcome to the Township, $name. Please hail the Server Greeter to start your adventure.");
 }
    elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Ranger")) {                
 }
    elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Rogue")) {                
 }
    elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Shadowknight")) {                
 }
    elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Warrior")) {                
 }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Cleric")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(200,0,true); #courage
      $client->ScribeSpell(202,1,true); #minor heal  
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Druid")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(202,0,true); #minor heal
      $client->ScribeSpell(26,1,true); #skin like wood  
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Bard")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(202,0,true); #chant of battle  
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Shaman")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(202,0,true); #minor heal
      $client->ScribeSpell(267,1,true); #inner fire
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Necromancer")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(338,0,true); #cavorting bones
      $client->ScribeSpell(341,1,true); #lifetap
      $client->ScribeSpell(288,2,true); #minor shielding
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Wizard")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(8447,0,true); #shock of frost
      $client->ScribeSpell(288,1,true); #minor shielding
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Magician")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(288,0,true); #minor shielding
      $client->ScribeSpell(93,1,true); #burst of flame
   }
 elsif(($ulevel == 1) && ($class eq "Enchanter")) {
     $client->ScribeSpell(288,0,true); #minor shielding
      $client->ScribeSpell(93,1,true); #burst of flame
   }
}
A simple script I wrote to help me with beta testing.. If you're a GM (status over 10) when you level up your skills auto-train to max of your level. (Combat skills such as 1 hand slash, 1 hand blunt, 2 hand slash, etc etc.. all skills).

Code:

sub EVENT_LEVEL_UP {

if($status > 10) {
    AutoTrain();
   quest::ding();
    }
 else {
   quest::ding();
   }

sub AutoTrain {

# set all available skills to maximum for race/class at current level
    foreach my $skill ( 0 .. 74 ) {
        next unless $client->CanHaveSkill($skill);
        my $maxSkill = $client->MaxSkill( $skill, $client->GetClass(), $ulevel );
        next unless $maxSkill > $client->GetRawSkill($skill);
        $client->SetSkill( $skill, $maxSkill );
        }
       $client->Message( 13, "Your GM Status automatically maximizes your skills on level." );
   }
}
Custom command I made for beta-testing.. the ability to fully heal myself, give my mana/endurance back, etc.

Code:

if($text=~/^#fullheal$/i)
      {
         $client->SetHP($client->GetMaxHP());
         $client->Message(257, "The Server tells you, 'Your health has been restored.'");
         $client->SetMana($client->GetMaxMana());
         $client->Message(257, "The Server tells you, 'Your mana has been restored.'");
         $client->SetEndurance($client->GetMaxEndurance());
         $client->Message(257, "The Server tells you, 'Your endurance has been restored.'");
      }
Can post more but as my server hasn't been released into beta am still a bit hesitant about releasing too much information.. Will do for the sake of this though.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMoneyHater Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Looks great Very Happy
Like how you code.
Should love to get news on your game and should love to try it if it gets so far.

+3!
TheMoneyHater
TheMoneyHater
Gamemaster
Gamemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:58 pm

TheMoneyHater wrote:Looks great Very Happy
Like how you code.
Should love to get news on your game and should love to try it if it gets so far.

+3!
That's all you.. this is just an example of work I've done not an advertisement.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  Splose Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 am

Just another little script I wrote today.

Normally in EQ when you create an NPC it has a static appearance.. Meaning that it is always a certain race, has a certain weapon (or no weapon), has a certain set of armor, etc. What I did with this to make the trash mobs in one of my zones more dynamic is when the NPC spawns it chooses a random appearance for it and sets it.. so every NPC is different every time it spawns.

When you aggro them they also will say something, they will say one of 3 things randomly.

Code:

sub EVENT_SPAWN {
 my $random_race = quest::ChooseRandom(1,4,6,7,);
 my $random_texture = quest::ChooseRandom(1,2);
 my $random_weapon = quest::ChooseRandom(1,2,3,7,8,14);
 my $random_gender = int(rand(2));

quest::npcgender($random_gender);
 quest::npcrace($random_race);
        quest::npctexture($random_texture);
        quest::wearchange(7, $random_weapon);
}

sub EVENT_COMBAT
{
             my $random_dialogue = quest::ChooseRandom(1,2,3);

if($combat_state == 1)
  {
      quest::ChooseRandom($random_dialogue);
       if($random_dialogue == 1) {
              quest::say("ATTACK DIALOGUE 1");
  }
     elsif($random_dialogue == 2) {
              quest::say("ATTACK DIALOGUE 2");
  }
     elsif($random_dialogue == 3) {
              quest::say("ATTACK DIALOGUE 3");
  }
  }
}
In addition to this there is another thing I use in this zone to create even more of a dynamic atmosphere. Spawn groups. Here's a bit of an explanation.

Mob A spawns as a level 13 warrior (but has a random race/appearance/weapon)
You kill Mob A.. it respawns in 20 minutes.
20 minutes posses and Mob A has respawned.. but this time it is a level 13 druid.

The spawn group has a total of 12 mobs. (levels 13-16 warrior druid and rogue)
They can be one of 4 races.
They can have one of 2 textures. (leather or chain appearance)
They can have one of 6 different weapons.
They can be one of 2 genders. (male/female)

Time for some math!

12*4*2*6*2 = 1152.

For 2 simple scripts that took me about 10 minutes to write. There are LITERALLY 1152 possible outcomes of npcs you can be facing in one place. Just a cool little lesson for you guys.

Splose

Back to top Go down

Post  McCrick Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:36 am

Declined
McCrick
McCrick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content